Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Throwing in the trowel...

"Gardening requires lots of water - 
most of it in the form of perspiration."  
~Lou Erickson~

Okay.  Guilty! We did it. We caved and hired a crew to come & get our yard into shape. It took exactly 8 days for us to admit that we were way in over our heads with all the overgrown plants, shrubs, trees & flowers and that they would quickly strangle us like stinkweed if we didn't bring in the pros. As I type, I can hear the whizzz and whirrrr of mowers, trimmers, weed-whackers and pure manpower drifting up from the yard.  They've been at it for 5 hours now and are about half-way to "that will do."  I have no doubt it will take months to get our yard into a place we can truly enjoy and years to get it to the yard and gardens of our dreams.  So, this is me admitting defeat - although feeling quite proud of myself for knowing when it was for me to wave the white flag.  In the end, I think we'll be much happier with the yard if we get to know it in small steps, over time.  There's a good chance I would be taking the first bus back to the city if it was me out there right now tangled up in poison ivy.  
I will share little Josie putting her green thumb to work in the planters on the porch with some of the flowers leftover from her visit to Chicago.  


And I must say here that my parents get huge gold stars for their two days of trying to whip our yard into shape.  You know it was a big project if even the two of them could only put a dent in it!  (Thanks for all your help mom & dad!)

2 comments:

FourAustins said...

Awww - I like the idea that Josie has planted a little piece of Chicago in Ohio :)

Anonymous said...

Carri, don't be hard on yourself, you have alot going on right now, and it will be better and easier to get control if you can start without be overwhelmed. I love the picture of Josie and grandma planting the flowers. Send more pics soon of the house, I am dying to see them. Laurie